Thursday, March 20

From Sue

A tribute to my dad from our forever family friend, Sue:

Dear Leah, Lauren, and Matt,
I can hardly believe that this is the eve of your father's memorial service. Words are so inadequate to express my sympathy to you for his loss, so I'm afraid this is the best I can do as I also grieve with you: 

A TRIBUTE TO YOUR FATHER
We won't be forgetting you, Phil Flaherty.
You led a remarkable life when you consider that at the mere mention of your name, we'd usually hear somebody say " I LOVE that guy!."
We'll remember you in a thousand different ways, each of us with our own memories shared with you--as a boy, student, teacher, sales exec, patient (sigh), musician, Dad, Pappy, brother, husband, friend and always the comedian.
We'll remember you when we hear a Beatles tune or see someone pick up a guitar. We'll think of you when we watch a favorite movie of yours, visit Cape Cod or hear someone tell a really bad joke. A few of us will think of you when we see a golf course crew out cutting greens. (My favorite memory was when your dad was teaching and used to work summers on the grounds of the RCC. I joined the crew for 3 of those seasons. We were in our mid-twenties then and I swear I've never laughed so much or so hard in my lifetime- he took political incorrectness and black humor to a whole new level.
We won't forget how you made us ALL laugh and how sometimes you cried with us.
And we will remember how you loved us.
So as long as we live, so will you, dear friend, because you are a deep and lasting part of us...as we remember you.

No comments: